Sunday, March 29, 2009

Albert Park – Penalty Causing Race Result Changed

Updates: Trulli retain third place, Hamilton and McLaren disqualified

trulli-podium-stripped 

The celebration lasted less than a day.

Jarno Trulli was penalized by the steward due to the overtaking under the safety car.

I saw it on the television, before the safety car came out, Lewis Hamilton was third.  After that Hamilton and Trulli’s position switched, I was wondering for awhile.  But this is how Jarno Trulli quoted:

"I can't say how disappointed I am to finish third but have the result questioned," he said. "When the safety car came out towards the end of the race Lewis passed me but soon after he suddenly slowed down and pulled over to the side of the road. I thought he had a problem so I overtook him as there was nothing else I could do."

This is very disappointing for Toyota, and Jarno Trulli.  He drove a fantastic race despite starting from the pit.

After applying the penalty of 10 seconds 25 seconds (as it happened within the last five laps), third place stripped from Trulli and dropped to 12th place, the final podium slot was passed down to Lewis Hamilton who starting grid was 18. 

 
Apart from that, Sebastian Vettel was penalized as well for the collision with Robert Kubica.  The clumsy move cause Robert Kubica third place, cause himself a second place and 10-place grid penalty on Malaysia Grand Prix, which will be held on 5th April.

vetell-kubica-contactTouched - Robert Kubica on the left, Sebastian Vettel on the right