Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Night Race, night race, night race

Malaysia is getting ready for night race that Bernie Ecclestone always pushing for it. Due to the larger market in European countries, and the different time zone, hosting a race in Asia makes the revenue slightly not so lucrative compare to races in other Europe countries. That's the whole story behind this night racing thingy that trouble country like Australia, which face the similar problem.

From my understanding, Australia is against the night racing idea, simply because it is not viable. Why? Because even without the night race, Melbourne GP currently is at a loss, millions per year. To held a night race in Albert's park, heavy investment will be needed, that will burn another big hole in the pocket.

Why Bernie Ecclestone is so firm on the decision, he even treaten Australia, saying that Australia F1 will be removed from next year calendar if they do not agree to the night racing concept. Because there are other countries dying to hold a F1 GP in their country. If Australia is not interested, he has plenty of other choices.

The bottom line is, he want to make as much money as he could by pressing country like Malaysia and Australia to invest in night racing, on the other hand, larger market group enjoy it, he is happy, the organiser? Not so happy.

Night race could be fun, I totally agree with it, but what about the organiser? What they going to do with the state-of-the-art flood lights? How many night racing events like F1 can be held in a year? Who is going to bear the cost? Not Bernie definitely...

No one knows what will happen during the night race, as this is something new, on one has done it before. How well will the driver adapt to this night race, how they deal with the lights, glares, shadows.. All remain to be seen.

"I want to keep racing alive in this part of the world and the only way we can do that is to have races at night." The F1 supremo said. To me that's a nice way to say it. You can put it in a nastier way:

"I want to make sure I can make lots of money, I don't care how much are you going to invest on your track. If you are not cooperative, I will remove you from F1 calendar. The only choice is LISTEN to me, I WANT NIGHT RACE!"

This is my personal opinion, to host or not to host a night race, they must make a wise decision. I totally understand what Australia trying to do. For Malaysia, I do not know what will be the outcome. But if I am the decision maker, I probably will against the idea as well.

No comments: